The “Other” Drug Problem…
The New York Times calls it “The Other Drug Problem”. According to research, 50 percent of patients mismanage their prescription medications, putting themselves at risk of potentially serious complications.
For many of us, prescription medications have become a necessary and vital fact of life. To get the full benefits and to avoid danger you should be aware of the following:
- Always follow physician directions for all of your medications.
- When you receive your drugs from the pharmacist read the label and make sure it is your prescription. Also read the written instructions.
- If you find the directions confusing, review them with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not change the dosage without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not stop taking your medication without approval from your doctor.
- Once your symptoms disappear, you should continue to follow the medication directions.
- Use the correct measuring device, such as a marked syringe when taking liquid medications.
- Use aids such as calendars, pill boxes, and color codes to help you track the doses you take.
- If your are visually impaired, use a magnifier to make sure you are taking the correct medicine and dosage.
- Always dispose of outdated or unused medications.
Let CareTeam provide medication reminder services as peace-of-mind for patient, physician, and family:
- Review medication directions, indications, and effects with patient for understanding
- Follow schedule for consistent medication intake
- Assist with prescription refills
- Monitor compliance and med changes
- Communicate with physician and pharmacy
Together, we can promote safety by ensuring the right dose of the right drug, at the right time. Call us 24/7 to schedule services!